Monday, February 1, 2016

What Connected Educators Do Differently: Chapter Four

Give and Take...and Give Some More

"'Good teachers borrow from each other -- great teachers steal'...Our colleague who somewhat facetiously advocates for 'stealing' over 'borrowing' is suggesting that the first thing we need to focus on is exchanging ideas, not just things.  More importantly, she is suggesting that we cannot truly get better just by 'borrowing'...Instead, we need to 'steal' that idea and make it our own.  We have been given a gift from that colleague...We honor this person not by taking what she has to share and using it exactly as designed, but by taking it, using it, strengthening it, and sharing it anew with others.  We do not simply borrow; we own it for ourselves and add to it before giving it back again" (52-53). 

This idea makes my creative mind burst with energy.  I love finding great things and making them my own, and Twitter and Pinterest are such powerful platforms for doing that.  I am encouraged to contribute my things to this great network of collaborators.  Now, as in every part of my life, is where the big "D" word comes into play.  Discipline.  This is my word for the year.  I am reminded often of the value of discipline and look forward (oh how I look forward) to the fruits that will come as a result. 

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Kari! I love how you state we "have been given a gift by a colleague." What a great way to look at new ideas. It is by working together, amazing things happen. I love your new "one word". Discipline is a great word to drive your year. It does take discipline to make dreams a reality. Can't wait to see where the year takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making it our own is how we improve our lessons. I, too, am constantly looking to Pinterest and Twitter for inspiration. I love your quote, "makes my creative mind burst with energy". This is exactly what a great idea should do to a classroom teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Kari. I'm always looking on Pinterest and Twitter for ideas. I also like to take ideas from both websites and make them my own. Sometimes I find too many ideas and have to narrow them down to what is most important for my classroom or lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Kari. I'm always looking on Pinterest and Twitter for ideas. I also like to take ideas from both websites and make them my own. Sometimes I find too many ideas and have to narrow them down to what is most important for my classroom or lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post Kari! It's hard to find an idea and making it your own, but often times we find ourselves doing that more times then none. Love your "D" word. I think we all need to practice that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this idea as well. Teaching is such a powerful job. We have so many opportunities to steal, make better, and share again. I think the majority of us steal and make better, but then aren't confident in our "better" so we stop the sequence. Your post is a good reminder to share out and think of the endless possibilities as my idea gets stolen and made better! Teachers rock!!!

    ReplyDelete