Saturday, January 9, 2016

What Connected Educators Do Differently: Chapter Two

Learn What They Want, When They Want, How They Want

This chapter has me thinking about how I like to learn and grow. 

First of all, I have to recognize that I love learning and growing.  I can see evidence of how I've learned and grown so much in my personal life.  Why?  Because I sought it out.  It kind of comes naturally to me (to want to be growing as opposed to becoming stagnant).  Because I love the development of relationships along the way.  I love learning from people who have gone before me. 

Do I love learning and growing professionally?  I do, but I don't see as much evidence of it.  Why?  I don't feel like I measure up.  If I grow, so does the measuring stick, so even if I am growing, I never feel it.  I don't have as purposeful of relationships with professionals.  That's it!  That's where the hole is.

I am a relationship driven person, but I don't have a lot of friends.  I have a small handful of women I consider close friends and that is all I need.  I get overwhelmed having too many friends.  I think that's why Twitter feels a bit daunting to me.  I would rather have my core group of five or so educators that I chat with on a regular basis than have hundreds of follows and followers.  That doesn't feel personal to me.  I find it extremely hard to engage in that.  I want to embrace all of the potential that is out there on Twitter, though.  To limit myself to the ideas and opinions of five people when there are millions out there is not such a great idea.

I wonder if I could have the perfect blend here.  I could have my Twitter friends and learn from them throughout the weeks and then sit down over coffee with my face-to-face friend and together we could talk about what we learned. 

That, for me, would be what I want, when I want, and how I want.  Now I just need a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment