Wednesday, January 6, 2016

What Connected Educators Do Differently: Coming Clean

I have a confession.  I am not sold out on Twitter.  I have an account and I post things occasionally.  I have found wonderful people to follow and have certainly been inspired.  But my use ebbs and flows.

"Fine," you say, "don't use Twitter."  The thing is my position in the district challenges me to not only be a connected educator, but to lead other teachers to be connected educators.  My homework is to read the book What Connected Educators Do Differently by Todd Whitaker, Jeffrey Zoul, and Jimmy Casas and to reflect on my reading and follow through with the challenges at the end of each chapter.  So far my participation has been spotty, at best, and I feel a tremendous amount of guilt.

Instead of pretending my way through this, I am going to start by reflecting on my resistance to being a connected educator.  As I read the book, I will find places where it addresses my areas of resistance and those are the things I will talk about in my blog.  I am willing to put in this effort because I know it makes me better and because I trust the people who are asking me to do this.

Here are my main areas of resistance that I can think of right now:
Time -- when I have a chunk of time, I feel there are more important things to do than look at Twitter.
Mindset -- I start to compare myself to the people I follow and feel overwhelmed by their apparent super-hero abilities to be so awesome.   I could never be as great as they are or do the kinds of things they are doing. 
Habits -- I'm not in a habit in general of being influenced by social media.  I don't feel compelled to share many parts of my life (personal or professional) online or to spend very much time looking at what other people share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment